Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cell phones, lighters and a sheep

People seem to think it is funny to hold up cell phones with their screens lit up at a concert.  I don't get it.  I think I followed the crowd and did it once a few years ago, but I didn't understand what we were doing.  At the time I felt like I was supposed to understand and be in on the joke and was scared to death of being different from the crowd.

I know, it started with lighters, but heck, I never understood why people held up lighters at concerts either.  I would be surprised if anyone understands it at this point, yet people continue to do it.  Somehow it's obligatory.  Did I miss something?  Anyone else have a good example of odd trends like this?

1 comment:

  1. I think it is like what Alfred Hitchcock called people - "cattle". If one does it, they all do it. "Sheep" is another term used by Jesus. Blind leading the blind is what I say most of the time. Who knows who or why? Like you said, we're just afraid of being different.

    ReplyDelete