Thursday, October 29, 2009

Real time travel, Fake time travel

Getting started on the blog again has been a little daunting after returning from Israel.  Sometimes when there is a lot to say, I say nothing.  I look forward to sharing my experiences from the trip: where we went, what we saw, what I learned.  That will be difficult in a single post, and since I don't want to shortchange the description, I'll probably just intersperse a little bit about the trip here and there over the next week or two.  Here's a little bit of Day 3 (of 10).

A professor from Ozark Christian College named Mark Moore came with us on the trip and was an invaluable source of information about just about every place we stopped ("he has a huge brain", my friend Rich says).  I felt like the cost of the trip was a bargain with Mark along!  (Here is a link to Mark's summary of the trip: Mark Moore on Israel.)  We captured video of a lot of his teaching.  Hopefully someone posts it and I can link you all to that as well.



Mark calls it the Lake of Galilee, since it's freshwater and landlocked, but I engage in my own private time travel by continuing to call it the Sea of Galilee. Standing on its shores was my favorite thing about the trip.  I was two thousand years ago, and I could see Jesus Himself walking across the water, walking up to me from the shore and embracing me.  I also caught a glimpse of the present (but in a place far away): my grandmother, young and running in heaven's verdant fields.

Time travel may be the wrong term, because it was real.  I was then and I was now.  I was a short drive from the point of the earth farthest below sea level, but very close to heaven.

In slightly less life-changing news, Matt Gatewood and I had a fun conversation about time travel a few days ago.  It may or may not be worth sharing, but here it is for your enjoyment.  The same conversation has probably transpired a million times between better qualified geeks from all corners of the internet, but we tried our hand at it too.  I can almost hear the comments: "Amateurish!  He ignores the classic McDouglas Dilemma inherent in any respectable discussion of time travel."


me: i have a sci-fi grammatical question for you
2:49 PM if i am going to use a time machine and go back in time to do something (e.g. kill a dinosaur), should i say, "i will kill a dinosaur in the past" or "i killed a dinosaur in the past" (even though i haven't gone back in time to do it yet)
2:50 PM i think i should say "i killed a dinosaur in the past" because if at any point i use a time machine to rewrite history, then that becomes the real history

14 minutes
3:10 PM Matt: i think that it is "i will" b/c, even though it is an event in the past, one has not done it in the present
  the time travel itself has not occured

15 minutes
3:28 PM me: but if the time travel ever occurred, then it has occurred, because there is a singular history
3:29 PM Matt: but, have you done the time travel yet
  have you gone back in time to kill the beast yet?
 me: but the past is the past
 Matt: but in your present reality, you haven't done it yet
3:30 PM me: there is one reality
  of course, by the same reasoning, if the past changed as a result of time traveling in the future, it nullifies the need to do the time traveling in the future
 Matt: but, when did you come aware of the time travel?
 me: it doesn't matter whether i'm aware of it or not
  it happened
3:31 PM Matt: but, do you not have to go back in time to make the event occur
  meaning, the event hadn't happened
  you go back and do it
 me: but the occurrence of the event is in the past
3:32 PM even if i haven't traveled yet. it is accomplished in the past
 Matt: once you do the event and come back, i'm cool with "i did it"
  but, you have to accomplish it first
  what if you don't...
 me: the past always comes first, so it did come first
 Matt: did you stay in the past time?
3:33 PM what if your event caused you to never be born?
  (this is fun)
 me: then i would never be able to travel back to do it, then i would not have prevented my birth, hence i would still be born
  yes, this is fun
3:34 PM Matt: i am assuming that this is the first "time" you have come up with the idea
  i see your point...you came up with the idea
  did the deed
 me: actually i think we had a very similar conversation before
 Matt: back in reality
  so...is there a loop in time?
  where you travel?
3:35 PM me: i view it as a line, and the traveling itself as instantaneous events
3:36 PM Matt: i view the alternative reality
  like the star trek movie
 me: yes, that's what i thought of, the star trek movie
  which cheats

2 comments:

  1. I, of course, was thinking of Back to the Future the whole time. I like how Doc describes it in the first movie- when Marty goes back in time, then goes back to the present time, he is in an alternate, skewed reality. I like that idea. Of course those are my favorite movies, so maybe I'm biased.

    Loved what you said about Nana. Brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Jennifer and I had a similar discussion recently... she just read The Time Traveler's Wife. You might want to read that, because it sounds like you would understand it way better than I would. :)

    Great post, by the way.

    ReplyDelete